HEALING SALVE BASE
Salves are such a simple and effective way to use your essential oils. They are so versatile that they can really cut down on the number of products floating around your home. Unlike using carrier oils alone, using salves to apply your essential oils is considerably less messy and can be done easily on-the-go. They make great gifts and a nice way to introduce your friends to essential oils. Especially when you are in a house with kids, there seems to be an endless supply of things that need tending to. With a salve base, you can add essential oils and it is easy enough and diluted enough for a child to safely apply themselves.
I love that salves are so darn easy to make. It can be as simple as two ingredients and some essential oils. You can make it more complicated by utilizing multiple carrier oils in place of some of the coconut oil in this recipe, but it’s totally up to you! I stick to coconut oil and beeswax in mine and I love the way it turns out every time. Coconut oil nourishes the skin and beeswax locks in moisture and protects the skin. This recipe makes 1 cup, which will last you a long time, but it will stay fresh for years, so you may as well make a bunch and have it ready! You can always make a 1/2 or even 1/4 recipe if you just want a little.
WHAT’S IN IT:
- 1 CUP COCONUT OIL (You could substitute any or all of the coconut oil with any liquid carrier oil, such as jojoba or sweet almond oil)
- 2 TBSP BEESWAX PASTILLES
- 1 TSP VITAMIN E OIL (optional)
- ESSENTIAL OILS OF CHOICE (about 30 drops)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Simply melt ingredients together over low heat. You can add your essential oils before cooling or after – salves are very easy to stir oils into even when cooled. I like to keep my salve base in a jar then add the essential oils and a bit of the base into a tin or jar when a need arises.
NOTE: You can adjust the consistency of your salve easily by adding more beeswax to make it firmer or more coconut oil to make it softer.
ESSENTIAL OIL SUGGESTIONS:
Also be sure to check out The Essential Oil Desk Reference for more oil blend ideas. [ Amounts below are based on 1oz of salve ]
- Dry Skin – 5 drops each of Lavender and Melaleuca Alternafolia.
- Respiratory Support – 10 drops total of one or more of the following oils: Raven, RC, any of the Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Wintergreen, Spearmint, Ravintsara, Lemon.
- Goodnight Salve – 10 drops total of one or more of the following oils: Peace & Calming, Stress Away, Lavender, Valor, RutaVala, Roman Chamomile, Cedarwood.
- Happy Skin – 2 drops each of Purification, Melrose, Lavender, Frankincense and Copaiba