silky body lotion base
a non-greasy, powdery smooth finish that's touchable.
Ya'll. This. Lotion.
Almost too good to be true!
It is luxuriously silky, with a powdery finish that leaves your skin feeling baby-bottom smooth. Need I say more? Okay, I will. I love using this body butter base for just about everything, but I've wanted to have a lighter option. My search for a lotion base to use with my essential oils has been vast and ended with many greasy concoctions on my hands. Not this time. Hello, silk. Stay a while....
This lotion is THE lotion. It has three ingredients (well, four if you count water) and can be made in minutes. It is so good for your skin all on its own, but with Young Living essential oils added in, the possibilities of emollient goodness are endless! Because it is a base, it can be purposed for whatever you want it to be depending on which oils you add.
HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1/4 cup JOJOBA OIL - With absorption properties similar to our skins own sebum, it soaks in and moisturizes quickly.
- 1/4 cup SWEET ALMOND OIL - Great for all skin types and known for it's ability to soften, soothe and recondition the skin.
- 2 TBSP BEESWAX PASTILLES - !ay easier to melt than a big chunk!
- 1/2 cup DISTILLED WATER (to maintain freshness, you *must* use distilled water)
(You can substitute any liquid carrier oil in this recipe. Check out Mountain Rose Herbs for a great selection of high quality choices, including the two oils suggested above.)
- ESSENTIAL OILS - I like to leave my lotion as a base without oils, so I can add drops as I use it, depending on what I need it for at the moment. If you'd like to make a whole jar with one specific purpose, using anywhere from 30 drops should be just about right. Using oils isn't an exact science though, so as always, adjust as needed.
HERE'S HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Melt the beeswax pastilles into the jojoba oil and sweet almond oil over low heat.
- Pour the warm distilled water into a food processor* with the drip attachment on it and turn it on.
- VERY slowly pour the melted oils and wax into the water and let it emulsify into a rich lotion.
- Add your essential oils if you are committing, otherwise skip this step and be spontaneous.
- Place into jar or container. Apply and your skin will thank you.
*NO FOOD PROCESSOR? use a stand mixer with the whip attachment and alternate pouring water and oil/wax mixture in slowly, scraping bowl often, until well emulsified.
ESSENTIAL OIL SUGGESTIONS
Here are a few suggestions of oils to add to your lotion. The Essential Oil Desk Reference is just brimming with suggestions for anything you can think of, so check that out too. Remember, the possibilities are *endless*. Find an oil combo you like? Add them to this base - in some cases this could replace a carrier oil. Experiment and enjoy the new skin you're in!
- Myrrh for a happy face
- Peppermint for tired feet
- Lemon for cracked heels
- Stress Away for calming
- Melaleuca and Lavender for dry skin
- PanAway to soothe tired and sore muscles